The most recent version of the Oracle E-Business Suite, Release 12.2, introduces on-line patching to reduce downtime requirements. This new technical functionality is based on Edition-based redefinition provided by the Oracle 11gR2 database. For the E-Business Suite to make use of Editioning, Oracle has added a new schema to the ‘APPS’ family – the APPS_NE schema.
The APPS_NE schema is the owner of those objects previously owned by APPS that cannot be Editioned or in other words; the APPS_NEW is the APPS schema for the non-editioned database objects.
There are several security implications with regard to APPS_NE:
- The same password must be shared among APPLSYS, APPS, and APPS_NE. The default password for APPS_NE is 'APPS.'
- APPS_NE has similar elevated system privileges to APPS (e.g. SELECT ANY TABLE), but is not identical. See the listing below for the 56 privileges granted to APPS_NE.
- APPS_NE must be logged, audited and monitored APPS_NE as you do APPS. APPS_NE needs to be added to your audit scripts and procedures as well as monitoring solutions
The following lists summarize the system privilege differences between APPS and APPS_NE
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Michael Miller, CISSP-ISSMP, CCSP, CCSK
- Oracle E-Business Suite APPLSYS, APPS and APPS_NE
- Integrigy Webinar New Security Features in Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2